How do I add someone or remove someone from my deed?

Property ownership is not like a car title. To make any kind of change to ownership of property, a new deed will need to be prepared and recorded in the Clerk’s Office where the property is located. 

Pursuant to § 17.1-223(B), a deed conveying residential property containing not more than four residential dwelling units will state on the first page of the document that it was prepared by the owner of the real property or by an attorney licensed to practice law in the Commonwealth where such statement by an attorney shall include the name and Virginia State Bar number of the attorney who prepared the deed.

We recommend seeing an licensed attorney in the Commonwealth familiar with recordation/land records to prepare the deed so that it is prepared properly as it is a legal document transferring property.  All deeds have to meet all standards within the Code of Virginia and the Library of Virginia Recordation Standards

Show All Answers

1. How do I add someone or remove someone from my deed?
2. Can I prepare a deed myself?