New Construction Permit

New dwellings require a VDOT Entrance Permit, and either Health Department documentation  for well and septic, or a Public Works Availability Letter.

New construction must meet the setbacks set forth by the County’s Zoning Ordinance. If the property is within a planned zoning district , the Property Owners Association (POA), or other governing body, regulates the setbacks. An approval letter from the POA must be provided to the County at time of application for building permit. To verify your property’s zoning classification, please visit the Rockingham County GIS Map.

If the property is located within town limits, the town will administer all zoning and related regulations. This information will be required at time of application. To determine if your property is located within a town, please visit Rockingham County’s GIS Map. 

If permanent electrical service is requested prior to rough in inspections, an Early Service Request form will be required, and an additional $50 fee will be added to the building fee. 

Early Service Request Form 

Building and related permits can be applied for in person or by using the online portal .  Have all supporting documents, including the Site Plan Approval letter, in hand before applying.