Name Change Information & Forms

Name Change Restrictions

A name change may not be sought for any fraudulent purpose or if it will infringe upon the rights of another. You must file the name change in the Circuit Court of the locality in which you live.

Petitioners who desire to change the name of their child or ward must obtain consent of both parents to change a child’s name.


*If PDF is not fillable when opened in browser, please download the form and use Adobe Reader, Adobe Acrobat or other PDF program to complete the form before printing. These forms are also available on a public workstation in the Clerk's Office for completion and printing.

Filing Requirements for Adult and Minor Name Changes

  • Application and order must be typed.  
  • Completed application must be notarized or signed in front of a deputy clerk in our office. Bring photo ID if you are signing in our office. 
  • Filing fee is $46. We accept cash, checks, money orders and credit cards. All credit card transactions will include a 4% surcharge.

Info on Name Change Due to Divorce

  • Form must be typed
  • Filed with the divorce case
  • Recording fee of $28.50 is required for recordation of order in the deed book after order is signed by the judge. Fee is collected at the time it is filed with the case.