- Clerk of Circuit Court
- Notary Public
The Office of the Secretary of the Commonwealth is responsible for the commissioning of Notaries Public in Virginia, pursuant to §47.1-8 of the Code of Virginia. Please visit their website for up-to-date information.
Notary Application Eligibility and Information
To be eligible to apply for a Virginia Notary Public Commission, you must be:
- at least eighteen years old
- able to read and write the English language
- be a legal resident of the United States
- live or work in the Commonwealth of Virginia
- have never been convicted of a felony. Any person who has ever been convicted of a felony under the laws of the United States or this Commonwealth, or the laws of any other state, shall not qualify to be appointed and commissioned as a Virginia Notary Public unless such person has had their rights restored.
Non-residents of Virginia may be appointed as notaries if they are regularly employed in the state and perform notary services in connection with their employment. A non-resident notary who ceases to be regularly employed in Virginia must surrender his or her commission.
Virginia is a “self certifying state” and does not require classes or testing to qualify to become a notary public.
Use the Secretary of the Commonwealth's Notary Management Accounts System to apply, renew in certain cases and for some name changes. Details are available on their site.
By law, you must claim your commission within 60 days after it is issued. If you fail to do so, you must submit a new application and a new fee to become a Notary Public. Once you receive notice from the Secretary of the Commonwealth about your commission, please call us at 540-564-1164 to confirm that we have received it before coming in to take your oath.
A fee of $10 is due when you take the oath and pick up your commission at the Clerk's Office. We accept cash, check, money orders or credit cards. All credit card transactions will include a 4% surcharge. Checks can be made payable to Clerk of Court. Office hours are Monday-Friday, 8:30 am - 4:30 pm, excluding holidays.